1. Health

Michael J. Fox laughs about the past and looks towards the future

Actor Michael J. Fox, who has been the most famous promoter of Parkinson's disease research since his diagnosis 12 years ago, recently published an autobiography that makes jokes of the past and has a hopeful look at the future.

In a recent interview on Good Morning America, Fox discussed the book, which is what he says is a letter to those graduating from high school from a high school drop out.

You can read an excerpt from the book, 'A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Future,' and watch his interview with George Stephanopolous on ABC.com.

Comments
August 2, 2010 at 4:17 pm
(1) tom says:

Parkinson’s is a very painful disease which I also suffer. Visit my Twitter to find out how to control pain.

September 15, 2010 at 4:02 am
(2) Tom too says:

Tom, I don’t twitter. It would be helpful if you could put your info here. Thanx.

September 16, 2010 at 3:09 pm
(3) judloved says:

I think our thinking is the same as many people with Parkinson’s need to be informed of all forms of treatment alternatives to relieve chronic pain caused by this disease.

Judloved
Findrxonline

October 1, 2010 at 3:10 pm
(4) Arthur says:

My friend Colin Campbell was diagnosed with Young Onset 10 years ago at the age of 49. He wrote and recorded a song about it, and I just helped him put together a music video. Hopefully, it will be inspiring to others.

October 16, 2010 at 8:57 pm
(5) Norma Treese says:

Just recently, my cousin was diagnosed with Parkinsons disease. She was emediately put on Parkinsons medicines by her doctor. She started falling down , throwing up and became very fuzzy minded. She became very ill. I did research on various medicines frequently prescribed by doctors. Bata-Blockers for High Blood Pressure and many other medicines. My cousin was desperate for relief. She called me and ask what should she do. I said ,”If you feel worse after taking these medicines, than you felt before you took them.” WHY DO YOU KEEP TAKING THEM?” She emmidiately stopped taking them. She felt much better each day . She told her doctor how much better she felt without those medicines. Now the doctor says she does not have Parkinsons Disease. They based the diagnoses on Shuffling , when she walked and shaking in her arm. She is also taking Bata -Blockers for high Blood pressure. The side effects for that medicine are weakness in the feet and legs and shaking in the arm. How MANY Mis-Diagnoses will it take to stop this travesty from happening again. My Dad suffered the Horrific side-effects of Parkinsons medicines and every other pill they could manage to put him on. He and I both believe he was mis-diagnosed because of Bata-Blockers. He was on 35 pills a day when he died. My mission in life now becomes trying to save others from mis-diagnoses and the Giant PILL MERRI-GO-ROUND. Doctors get HUGE CHECKS FROM PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANIES EVERY YEAR. WE NEED TO STOP THIS EMMEDIATELY. With Hope for ALL OF US , Norma Treese

February 2, 2011 at 4:53 pm
(6) George Piemonte says:

Viet Nam veterans with Parkinson’s Disease may now be entitled to service connected benefits.

July 23, 2011 at 12:58 pm
(7) Pain Patient says:

Parkinsonís disease (PD) is a chronic neurological disorder due to the lack of the chemical dopamine in the brain. Dopamine controls movement, posture, and walking. Common symptoms of the disease are tremors, rigidity and bradykinesia (slow movement). Other manifestations of PD may include stooped posture, speech and swallowing problems, a mask-like facial expression, shuffling gait, arms kept fixed to the side of the body when walking, difficulty with fine hand movements and micrographia (small handwriting). PD symptoms may appear on one or both sides of the body. Signs of the disease have a slow, gradual onset. The cause of PD is still unknown.

Medical-rights.com

September 11, 2012 at 11:10 am
(8) Disease Management Program says:

Thanks for your nice post. Two things I like about the post, one it is straight forward and two it does not attempt to promote anyone’s position particularly.