1. Health

New study links chemicals to Parkinson's Disease

A study by the Parkinson's Institute found that the risk of developing Parkinson's disease was nearly six times greater in people exposed to the common industrial solvent trichloroethylene (TCE).

Trichloroethylene, or TCE, is a solvent that was once widely used in dry cleaning and to clean grease off metal parts, and it was once used as an anesthetic, especially during childbirth. But concerns about its toxicity led to it being mostly abandoned and replaced by other anesthetics and solvents.

For the study researchers took job histories of 99 pairs of twins in which only one twin had Parkinson's Disease. Scientists used twins in the study because they are genetically identical or very similar and provide an ideal population for evaluating environmental risk factors.

"This is the first time a population-based study has confirmed case reports that exposure to TCE may increase a person's risk of developing Parkinson's disease," said Samuel Goldman, MD, MPH of the Parkinson's Institute. "TCE has been widely used for more than 50 years in a range of industrial settings and products.† It is now primarily used to clean grease off metal parts, and as a component in glues, paints, lubricants and stain removers.† PERC is the predominant solvent used in dry-cleaning."

Parkinson's disease, caused by the death of cells in the brain that secrete the neurotransmitter dopamine, is characterized by severe tremors, rigidity in the limbs and other symptoms.† It strikes an estimated 100,000 Americans each year and is ultimately fatal.† Genetics may play a role in susceptibility to Parkinson's, but the disease has also been linked to environmental factors such as pesticides and head trauma.

Comments
August 12, 2010 at 10:24 am
(1) John kane says:

I have parkinsons and for many years worked with genklene and acetone, could this contribute towards my condition. Thanks john

January 17, 2011 at 7:23 pm
(2) pam says:

Saying that Parkinson’s disease is ultimately fatal is wrong and irresponsible. A PD patient can live out their full natural life and die from other age related diseases or possibly a PD related death but PD is NOT in and of itself a fatal disease.

April 22, 2011 at 2:08 pm
(3) Krista says:

If you google “dr. perlmutter and glutathione” you will see an amazing video of a pt with PD injected with glutathione and the dramatic difference before and after. I know of a natural product that increases glutathione by 300%. http://www.lifevantage.com/krista

November 14, 2011 at 5:34 pm
(4) maureen roe says:

my mother worked at Crockets dry cleaners 1940 Developed myxoedema 1952, Parkinsons 1960`s Treated with Experimental el dopa but consultant , whilde jubilant at reduction in tremors over weeks in hospital, failed to treat thyroid problem, this rersulting in her death

August 17, 2012 at 3:11 am
(5) Bill Hicks says:

I worked as an earo engine fitter during the mid 70′s. I was using trichloroethylene & Genclean every day. Is this the cause of my Parkinsons condition?

September 7, 2012 at 2:10 pm
(6) Disease Management Program says:

Your aritcle is full of useful information. keep it up. You put a nice twist to it.

September 11, 2012 at 7:49 am
(7) Ethan says:

Vеry good blog уou havе hеre but I was
wondeгіng if you knеw of any communіty fоrums that covеr the same topics talked
abοut іn this aгtіcle?
I’d really love to be a part of online community where I can get advice from other experienced people that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Thank you!

September 21, 2012 at 3:10 am
(8) how to lucid dream tonight says:

A free iPad? Yes, you can get one!

September 28, 2012 at 7:19 am
(9) Nickolas says:

brilliant blog I am a big Arѕenаl fan fгom Нοlland

October 18, 2012 at 5:26 pm
(10) pure protein shakes says:

Its lіke you leаrn my thoughtѕ!
Yоu aрpear to grаsp а lot abоut this,
like you wrote the guide in іt or something. I thіnκ that you ѕimply can
ԁo with somе ρ.с. to force the
mеssage house a bit, but otheг than that, that іs great blog.

A grеat reаd. I will certaіnly be back.