The day is intended to boost awareness of the disorder and to spur new research and treatment innovations. It should be a day of advocacy for PD patients and their families. I am mentioning it now so that you can plan something special for that day. Here are some ideas to celebrate World Parkinson's Day:
- Start a local PD support group for PD patients and their families.
- Write a letter to your local newspaper to boost awareness of the disorder.
- Call your congressman or email them urging them to support PD research.
- Urge the FDA to streamline regulatory procedures to bring PD treatments to market more quickly.
- Contact a national advocacy group like the Parkinson's Action Network and become a supporting member.
- Wear a red tulip (the official flower of world PD day) in your lapel and ask your friends and family to do so as well.