The day is intended to boost awareness of the disorder and to spur new research and treatment innovations. It should be a day of advocacy for PD patients and their families. I am mentioning it now so that you can plan something special for that day. Here are some ideas to celebrate World Parkinson's Day:
- Start a local PD support group for PD patients and their families.
- Write a letter to your local newspaper to boost awareness of the disorder.
- Call your congressman or email them urging them to support PD research.
- Urge the FDA to streamline regulatory procedures to bring PD treatments to market more quickly.
- Contact a national advocacy group like the Parkinson's Action Network and become a supporting member.
- Wear a red tulip (the official flower of world PD day) in your lapel and ask your friends and family to do so as well.
Send in some ideas for World Parkinson's Day and we will post them.